Thursday, August 26, 2010

IMAX it to the MAX

Tonight I went to see Inception at the nearby IMAX theater.  Since I hadn't seen it yet because no one would go with me - I'm talking to you Mike and also partly to you Jason - this seemed like a good LA thing to do.  Now I'll admit that I've been heavily relying on my very cool GPS device (thanks Dad and Mom!), but even that little powerhouse could not help me navigate the maze that is the Edwards AMC Santa Anita at the Arcadia Westfield Mall.  Now, I'm not a stranger to multiplexes nor to malls, but my god.  After many false attempts, I made it to the mysterious second floor of the parking garage, apparently the only way for an out-of-towner like me to even begin to imagine navigating my way into the AMC.

I realize I've been living in the Midwest too long, because this theater actually overwhelmed me.  Multiple IMAX screens, random 3D movies I've never even heard of, and tweens everywhere!  I knew I was finally in the right place.  The line was intense, and included what appeared to be a crowd of 15 kids staging a sit-in at one of the ticket seller's windows, so I assessed my options.  On one of the far walls was a special looking computer that reputed to sell tickets.  So I used that, and subsequently walked right into the theater.  Maybe this explains why the line is filled with tweens but not adults - no credit cards.  Well, my ticket was $15.50 but this was an IMAX showing, so I went with it.  But I was immediately aware of my huge error - I had not eaten.  I was starving!  So I got on line at the concession stand.  Hmmm, popcorn and a coke seemed like the right fare.  Wait?  $5.75 for a soda!  And just as much for a small popcorn!!  I scanned my surroundings for an out.  In the far dark corner, I saw a glowing light.  Vending machines!  I'm saved.  Confident that a coke would be cheaper here, I swiped my card.  My bottle of coke cost $3.75.  Now this is ridiculous, but, granted, better than the $5.75.  But no snacks in the vending machines, so I went back to the line.  I got my $6.25 medium bag of popcorn and, after conferring with a friend on the phone about what I had just done, went to find my seat.

Woohoo, only a few random couples in the theater, so I setteled in to a lazy-boy-like seat in the middle.  The movie was scheduled to start at 8:10.  It was almost 8:00.  I ate my popcorn and watched the stupid pre-movie commercials.  I was feeling happy... and then I realized why: the commercials were muted!  What was this magical trick this theater was pulling?  I didn't care because I loved it.  I did what any self-respecting person would do and texted some friends about it.  But then it was 8:15 and we were still watching muted ads and movie trivia.  Did you know that Jennifer Anistan had a picture she drew exhibited at the Met?  8:30... 8:40...  Ok, by now I was looking around in confusion and so were a few others.  Three of the most irritated among us ventured out for answers.  I was still in mild euphoria over muted ads and popcorn I could butter myself.  But those stalwart citizens retured with an usher who was mildly apologetic and carrying free passes.  A free pass is nothing to turn your nose up when it's worth $15.50.  Score!

The movie looked great on the IMAX screen.  All that talk about the hallway fight scene is not exaggeration.  Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment