Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Date Night, Platonic Style


As many of you know, when left to my own devices I tend toward the misanthropic.  But even for me, three weeks without a face-to-face conversation that isn't over a cash register or circulation desk is a bit disorienting.  So out of boredom/hope/morbid curiosity I ventured onto that great equalizer - that place where anything can happen - that place where it's best to use a pseudonym, a fake email address, and latex gloves.  Because this is public radio I will not - cannot - share with you the many ads that I waded through in my attempt to locate a sane, rational human being via craigslist.  And yes, folks, I am talking about the platonic section. 

But amazingly enough I saw an ad I could respond to without needing a shower.  It was simply some guy who was heading to the Pasadena flea market and would be happy for company.  Now, as far as these things go, the stakes could not possibly be lower.  This is a Sunday morning, it is a flea market, and would involve sorting through various homemade fabric items and used books.  I responded to this ad and some minimal arrangements were made.  However, I was kept on the phone quite late on Saturday (you know who you are) and I slept right through said flea market.  Now, sure, I felt a little badly, but again, this was a flea market. 

Still, I was raised well (hi mom!), so I sent a sincere apology.  And new arrangements were made for some combination of used bookstore browsing and/or coffee. 

Excellent!  Not only did we have surprisingly great conversation, but he immediately directed us to Pita Pita, where we both enjoyed veggie platters and homemade baklava.  A better turn of events I could not imagine.

Well, Tim T, it is rare indeed to meet someone who can share historical jokes about JH Kellogg and speak movingly about The Science of Sleep.  A total pleasure.


No comments:

Post a Comment